Written in collaboration by MetricsDAO members: mar1na (catscatscode)#3578, catjam#6271, Rochelle#9484, PCWCFA#0438.
Propose and seek community feedback on a Code of Conduct for the MetricsDAO community to abide by.
MetricsDAO is growing, experimenting and learning. To help our community remain a safe and inclusive space throughout our growth, it is important to proactively outline a set of standards to be upheld by community members.
This proposal recommends the following Code of Conduct be adopted by the MetricsDAO community where it will be visible in Discord and can be referred to if the need arises.
We are seeking community feedback on the current proposal for 1 week: Please share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments of this post before 11:59pm ET on Thursday, September 22, 2022. Following the feedback period, these inputs will inform the Code of Conduct that will be considered for a governance proposal.
The Code of Conduct should be a living document, and evolve together with MetricsDAO.
This Code of Conduct references the MetricsDAO Constitution: Public Draft 03 version which has been ratified by the Governors as of this writing.
This Code of Conduct was informed and inspired by the experiences and learnings of other communities. Links to references, and licensing details where applicable, are provided in the Acknowledgements section of this Code of Conduct.
MetricsDAO is growing, experimenting and learning. To help us continue moving towards our goals and remain in sync with our values it is important to outline a set of standards to be upheld by community members. The goal of creating this Code of Conduct is to proactively clarify the expectations around putting MetricsDAO values into practice through daily actions. This community is currently a safe and inclusive space, and the following Code of Conduct will enable our community to retain these qualities as we learn and grow.
This Code of Conduct is created to help uphold the values of MetricsDAO through daily actions of all community members. Our foundational values are outlined in the MetricsDAO Constitution. (At the time of this writing, Public Draft 03 of the constitution has been ratified by the Governors).
MetricsDAO foundational values are:
- Scientific rigor
MetricsDAO and the MetricsDAO community exist to produce the best analytical outputs in the blockchain data space.
We believe that collaboration and building in public lead to producing the best analytics. To quote @danner.eth, “Science never happens in a dark room alone!” We believe that crucial elements of a collaborative analytical process include:
- learning from one another’s work,
- forking code to improve upon it and add unique contributions,
- creating work that lasts,
- publicly sharing and constructively discussing one’s own and each other’s work whenever possible, to exchange ideas and crowdsource improvements,
- always transparently offering acknowledgments where they are due: for instance, when forking code or otherwise taking inspiration from other analysts.
Examples of behavior that contributes to a positive environment for our community include:
- Demonstrating empathy and kindness towards others. Assume positive intent in circumstances where you disagree or feel uncomfortable by another’s perspective.
- Giving and gracefully accepting constructive, timely, and specific feedback. Whenever possible and appropriate, we deliver feedback in public in our Discord server. For instance:
- respectfully and constructively pointing out an error by requesting support in a public channel,
- providing a gentle and professional reminder of this Code of Conduct in a public reply message,
- and other appropriate circumstances where offering kind, respectful, and constructive feedback in public helps enact MetricsDAO values, among them transparency and collaboration.
- Prioritizing learning over being right. When we make mistakes, we accept responsibility, apologize to those affected, and learn from the experience.
- Communicating any errors you feel may have been made in a respectful and constructive manner. We are a community of passionate and committed humans building something that did not exist before, and we are dedicated to owning and fixing the mistakes that may occur, and learning from them. Assume positive intent on the part of MetricsDAO, the unintentional nature of possible oversight, and a commitment to rectifying issues.
- Disclosing conflicts of interest proactively when they occur in order to focus on what is best not just for us as individuals, but for the overall community.
- Respecting others’ right to privacy and confidentiality.
- Disagree and commit: We will not always agree on the challenging issues we tackle as a DAO, but we have a responsibility to work as a team and support decisions once they have been made.
- Communicating openly, assuming positive intent, and finding win-win solutions.
Examples of unacceptable behavior include:
- Trolling, insulting or derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks. This includes, but is not limited to: the use of sexualized language or imagery, sexual advances, or any derogatory comments made on the basis of age, race, gender, personal or political beliefs, or other identifying characteristics.
- Publishing others’ private or personal information without their explicit permission.
- Degrading the work, contribution, or compensation of another community member.
- Making threats or ultimatums against MetricsDAO or degrading any of our partners in the ecosystem.
- Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting.
This Code of Conduct applies within all community spaces, and also applies when an individual is representing the community in public spaces.
If a person or group within MetricsDAO or outside our organization violates one of these principles, we encourage community members to correct them quickly and respectfully.
Avenues for appropriate and considerate delivery of feedback may vary by circumstances, but whenever possible and appropriate we prefer public discourse in our community spaces. Transparency in our community is enhanced when we have respectful and constructive discussions of issues and disagreements in public, and if necessary – offer kind reminders of the common goals, values, and standards outlined in this Code of Conduct. Moreover, public discourse can generate additional helpful information and assistance toward error resolution from the team and community members.
Individuals who are not responsive to feedback (as determined by MetricsDAO) on their unacceptable behavior, and individuals who repeatedly or severely break our code of conduct, will be subject to further action outlined in the Escalation Path section of this Code of Conduct.
Escalation may result in offboarding from our community.
An instance of violation is anything that fits an entry in the Examples of Unacceptable Behavior section of the Code of Conduct.
If you wish to bring to the attention of MetricsDAO a behavior that is not in line with this Code of Conduct, please tag or contact a community manager, or one of the current season contributors (users with the “S[#] Contributor” role in our Discord server). Server roles can be viewed by clicking on the user profile image.
MetricsDAO Season 2 runs from July to September 2022 inclusive. Future seasons are quarterly as outlined in the Seasons section of the Constitution, with exact season dates announced in Discord. During any two-week off-season period that follows each season, you may contact previous season contributors for the purposes described in this section.
Community manager can independently place a timeout on the violator based on the number of violations:
- One violation: 1 day timeout
- Two violations: 1 week timeout.
Timeouts cannot be appealed.
Participants and other community members not covered by the previous paragraph may be offboarded from the community and banned from participating in MetricsDAO activities after repeated or severe violations of the Code of Conduct. In this case, agreement on a ban must be reached by at least 3 DAO members including at least 1 Governor (with current season badges for these roles at the time when the decision is made).
MetricsDAO has the option but not the obligation to hear server ban appeals at least a month after the date of the ban. Your appeal will be voted by Governors using a simple majority with 51% quorum.
This Code of Conduct was informed and inspired by the experiences and learnings of other communities, and contains sections (some adapted, some in full) and inspiration from:
- Index Cooperative’s Code of Conduct, including the original Code of Conduct (2020, copyright and related rights waived via CC0) and the public forum discussion of the updated version in 2021.
- Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct version 2.1 (CC BY 4.0 License).
- Mozilla Community Participation Guidelines version 3.1 (CC BY-SA 3.0 License).
We are seeking feedback from the entire MetricsDAO community on the current proposal for 1 week. Following the feedback period, these inputs will inform the Code of Conduct that will be considered for a governance proposal. Please share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments of this post before 11:59pm ET on Thursday, September 22, 2022!